Keeping it real

Over the past few days, Robbie and I have been glued to the TV, watching reports of protests and demonstrations from other cities in Honduras, listening to speeches made in the UN, hearing remarks by the US State Department. We’ve each written several reporters, analysts, and newspaper editors, describing what’s going on here and hoping to see more accuracy reflected in the media. If we aren’t in front of the TV, we are at the computer. We have researched to find articles that correctly describe the events in Honduras; we have forwarded those reports to our family, friends, and supporters, sometimes adding our own comments as well. We’ve also been on the phone quite a bit, trying to make tough decisions about whether to stay or leave. Do we all go? Do we all stay? Should Robbie stay to guard the house and send me and Claire back? We’ve called our parents, our pastor, the US embassy, veteran missionaries, and Hondurans that work for the government. On Monday night, after a long, stressful day, we decided that we would do something besides watch current events. “Let’s turn the TV off for awhile and try to relax.” It didn’t happen. I don’t know if we qualify for addicts or zombies at this point.

Right in the middle of all this madness, my two-year-old daughter came twirling through the living room. She had put on her Cinderella dress-up gown and was singing at the top of her lungs, “A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes.” She pulled Robbie to his feet, exclaiming, “I want to dance with my prince!” The Prince, of course, couldn’t resist, so together they spun around the living room. Oh, to be two years old again and live in a dream world, I thought.

But then again, whose point of view was “realistic”? Why was I stressed and worried? Who is in control? Am I not a princess, too? A daughter of the King? Am I not in the center of God’s will, the safest place to be? I decided I needed a “dose of reality” myself. So together we danced around the living room, laughing and singing. Perfect peace. Right in the middle of the storm.

Whatsoever things are true,…think on these things. –Philippians 4:8
1 Response
  1. Kathy Says:

    Look at Mama Blogger fly! You'll go beyond any expectations, blessing many. I'm so proud of you.
    Love,
    Aunt Kathy


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Five Year Anniversary Video

Team Honduras 2009 Year-in-Review Video

Team Honduras on Facebook

Team Honduras on Facebook