Nicodemo

Last night about 9:30PM, Robbie was watching a Kentucky basketball game and I was absorbed in a crossword puzzle when we heard gunshots down the street. The sound of gunfire doesn’t usually draw our attention anymore, because the guards here are known to routinely fire shots into the air. But something was different this time. The shots came too close together; they couldn’t have been from the same gun. Then we heard screams.

A vehicle came speeding by, and we looked at each other with alarm. What had happened? The screams and cries continued, and we knew: someone had just been murdered.

Robbie locked Claire and me up in the house and went down to the street to see if he could help. After what seemed like forever, he returned shaking his head. “It’s Nico.” My heart sank.

Nicodemo and Dana are our neighbors and good friends. He was born in Jerusalem, but had married and settled down here in Honduras. He owned an open-air restaurant downtown called Las Tejas; it was one of our favorite spots. He and Robbie had gone on a four-wheeling trek up into the mountains together once. I had always enjoyed talking to his wife Dana; we had gotten together a few times for coffee while Claire and Jacobo, their four year-old son played together. They were a sweet couple.

We had invited them to church countless times. Nico called Robbie one night, asking him to come by and talk. He got right to the point, “How do you know the meaning of life?” he wondered. Robbie was able to share the gospel with him, but Nico did not make a decision.

Then Sunday before last, Nico and Dana finally came to church. Robbie preached a clear gospel message from Galatians, and they listened attentively. Afterwards, one of our church men asked Nicodemo if he enjoyed the message. “Yes, it was great…but I wanted to hear more!” He assured us they would be back.

As I walked down the road last night, just a block from our house, I saw bullet casings, a watch, and finally Nico’s lifeless body, bleeding in the road. Dana was doubled over on the ground, wailing and begging someone to get a doctor. “Take him to the hospital! Please!” she screamed. I tried to comfort her, but I don’t even think she knew me; she was out of her mind with grief. She vomited and fainted a few times before a family member finally dragged her to the house. She had watched her husband gunned down for his vehicle. I silently thanked the Lord that Jacobo had not been with them; he was with his grandmother, asleep in the house.

We need your prayers this morning. Please pray for Dana and Jacobo. Pray for Robbie and me to be a help and comfort to this precious family. Pray for our team; to be perfectly honest, acts of violence that strike so close to home always shake us up. We are not immune to fear, even after being on the field for five years. We find ourselves solemnly asking if we really do believe in the Lord’s protection; those aren’t just words to us anymore.

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. –Psalm 4:8
9 Responses
  1. Alisa Says:

    Christine,
    This truly brought tears to my eyes. I will pray for Nico's family, as well as yours. I will also pray for God' protection over your family each and every day.

    Love,
    Alisa


  2. Sarah Says:

    I will be praying for Nico's family and yours too. Glad we know the One who protects us!


  3. Robyn K. Says:

    Praying. I can't begin to imagine living on the mission field as you do. I hope you all can find strength through our Saviour.


  4. Kathy Says:

    Christine, thank you for opening your heart and your lives, sharing such very fresh pain and loss. Prayer is our best action of love around you right now. It sometimes feels passive but I know it's not. When you share such horrific events, your Christian family storms heaven for you all!


  5. Ricky Says:

    Christine,

    Every morning I go through my family prayer list and as I call out your names, I always ask the Lord to watch over you, to protect you. I never take it for granted and I believe that all three of you are in God's hands. I am sad over this family's loss, not just life, but eternal life. When you feel like you don't know what to do, just pray some more.

    I love you.

    Dad


  6. The Journey Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.

  7. The Journey Says:

    As always you all are in our thoughts and prayers. I know that because of your faith and everyones prayers God does have a hedge round about you and the rest of Team Honduras. I know this from your blog entries of how God has had his hand on your life. We love you all and miss you and hope to see you soon.

    Love,
    Amy


  8. Anne Boyd Says:

    I will be praying!


  9. Philip Rabon Says:

    Praying for you during this time, that God will use it in a miraculous way to bring Himself glory! Nichole and I lift you up in prayer, and this situation reminds me not to simply mutter a prayer of safety out of habit, but truly beg God for safety for your family and Team Honduras. We love you guys!


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Five Year Anniversary Video

Team Honduras 2009 Year-in-Review Video

Team Honduras on Facebook

Team Honduras on Facebook