Just for Fun: How to Get a Honduran Missionary to Roll His Eyes at You

Part of being a missionary is hosting mission groups who come down to visit. Team Honduras averages somewhere around 6 or 7 groups a year. The week a group is here, it’s an exhilarating, exhausting, and enjoyable experience. But you should know, we might be rolling our eyes at you if you say…

1. “Do people take a bath here every day?” Oh yes. In fact, since most days the temperature is above 100 degrees and we don’t have central air-conditioning, I’ll bet we take a lot more baths than you do.

2. “Where can I plug in my curling iron?” You go right ahead and curl that hair. Let’s see what it looks like in ten minutes.

3. “Well, I know crime is bad here, but it’s really getting to be this bad in the States.” Until you personally know five people who have been kidnapped for ransom, have a friend gunned down for his Toyota, live behind a wall topped with razor wire, see a stranger gunned down in the street, and pretty much everyone you know has been robbed at gun or knifepoint for a cell phone and some pocket change, sorry, this is not even a discussion.

4. “I don’t know if I could live without Walmart.” I don’t even think about missing Walmart anymore. You’d soon forget about it, too. Now missing momma and daddy…that’s the tough one.


What do ya know!?! We DO have a Walmart! Does this count?

5. “Oh, it’s this hot in Florida!” I’ve lived in Florida. Spent four years of college there. There is no way this is true; and even if it were, they have central air in Florida.

6. “Does everyone here speak just Mexican, or do some people speak American, too?” You’ve got to be kidding me.

7. “I’m so glad you are willing to take the gospel to the 10-40 window!” Contrary to popular belief, Honduras is in Central America, not Africa. We aren’t in the 10-40 window, but we do have a great need here as well.

8. “I’m going to try some of that food they cook at the roadside stands because I really want the ‘full experience.’” Well, you go ahead and do that. But let me know as soon as the “full experience” hits, and I’ll bring you some Immodium.

9. “Wow, our church sent you a lot of stuff! Can I have one of those Little Debbie snacks?” This is the first time I’ve held a Little Debbie peanut butter bar in my hand for two years. We’re having a moment. Go away.

10. “Thanks so much for hosting us this week. It’s been so great to see your ministry.” Are you kidding? The privilege is all ours—anytime our supporters can see our work here first hand, it’s a great blessing to us. We really do love you and appreciate what you’ve done for us.

Team Honduras is so thankful for the many groups who’ve come down to help us during our five years of ministry!
6 Responses
  1. Kathy Says:

    Love it! Love it! Love it! Love you! For out-doing Letterman.


  2. Ricky Says:

    ROFL! - Not at what we say when we visit, but at what you all are saying after we walk away! I think I said at least one of those things to Robbie, the one about crime in the states. You nailed us, girl.


  3. Gwen Says:

    Thanks for a good laugh on a Monday! It was great!


  4. Jennifer Says:

    Wow, Christine! I didn't know you were so sarcastic!! You just never know about some people.


  5. Carol Amato Says:

    I thoroughly enjoy your blog. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to keep it going ~ it is a blessing! :)


  6. Kimberly Henderson Grainger Says:

    LOL, cous! See, you ARE funny. Maybe even funnier than Aunt Kathy. (Don't tell her, or she'll disown me! Tee hee.)
    Hugs to you all!


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Five Year Anniversary Video

Team Honduras 2009 Year-in-Review Video

Team Honduras on Facebook

Team Honduras on Facebook