The Little Girl with the Corkscrew Curls

A little girl I had never seen shyly approached me after Sunday morning class and extended her paper for me to see. She was about 6 years old with big eyes and dark hair full of corkscrew curls. I ooed and aahed over her picture and started to hand it back, but she shook her head. “For me? Oh, thank you!” I hugged her and told her goodbye.

After the buses had left, I tidied up my class and prepared to leave. When I walked out to the porch where the adults meet, I was surprised to see the small girl waiting on the bleachers. “Nayeli, did you miss your bus?” She nodded and looked a little embarrassed. But her expression changed to excitement when I motioned her toward our truck. “Okay, we’ll take you home.”

We figured out whom Nayeli had come with—her grandmother, who had been attending our church for some time. “Do you live with your grandmother, Nayeli?” She nodded solemnly. “Where does your mother live?”

“En los Estados Unidos,” she answered, hanging her head. In the United States—she must have gone to work there.

“Your daddy, too?” She nodded again.

“When did they leave?”

“El año pasado.” Last year. And there would be no hope of seeing them again anytime soon. Those who go mojados (illegally) don’t come back to visit, for fear of not being able to re-enter. This little six year-old was basically an orphan. And even worse, her parents had left her by choice.

When dropped her off at her grandmother’s house, no one came out to meet us. I wondered if she’d even been missed. She smiled and promised to return the next Sunday, and we waved goodbye.

As I glanced down at the picture she’d drawn, my eyes filled with tears. “For the most beautiful teacher who is so beautiful.”

My heart hurt for the little girl who missed her mommy so much. I wondered if anyone took time to read her stories, or teach her to make tortillas, or brush her hair after her bath.

There are so many children that come to our church every week who are just like Nayeli. They arrive in tattered dirty clothing that they’ve clearly outgrown. Some have lice or parasites. They eagerly wolf down the cookies I hand out, and I realize that this is probably their breakfast. Just this past Sunday, I cleaned and bandaged an oozing burn that looked days old, on the leg of a little three year-old girl. But much worse than their physical condition, their little hearts are hurting for love and affection. Sometimes I can hardly sleep at night for thinking about them. I’d take them all home with me if I could.

But one thought brings hope to my heart. In 2011, Team Honduras plans to begin a children’s home for little girls like Nayeli. Mark and Amy Coats, a couple from North Carolina are currently in training and are raising support to come and direct this home. They will become parents to little boys and girls who have none. These children will be fed, clothed, and educated. Most importantly, they will learn of the Heavenly Father Who loved them enough to send His Son to die for them. These forgotten children may be the pastors and teachers who take the gospel throughout Honduras one day.

So we are praying and working to see this dream come true.



3 Responses
  1. Ricky Says:

    Christine,

    When I look into the eyes of this little one, I see you. I see you riding a church bus with a little black third grade girl sitting on your lap and looking into your eyes, smiling at you as you look down upon her face with love in your smile. This is the place where God began His deepest work in your heart. Little abandoned bus kids that get so little love from their parents, find Christians riding hot, yellow church buses with laps available to them to sit upon, with arms wrapped around them in compassion. This is the love of Christ manifested in and through you and Robbie.

    This love does not focus on the physical, but on the spiritual and it reminds us all: No One Ever Cared for Me Like Jesus... but we can come close if we allow the Spirit to lead us, can't we? I love you.

    Dad


  2. Robyn Knox Says:

    I really enjoy your blog. Now that I've been reading it a while and have you on facebook things are really starting to make a lot more sense to me now as far as what you're doing and what the Coats family are doing. I have them on facebook as well but never put the two of you together as one helping another. What a blessing you all are to me and the people of Honduras. We're praying for you daily.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    She is beautiful.My father is oringinaly from Honduras,but he now lives in nyc.He says he would love to go and visit his hometown,but he just never get's to.It must have been a dream to work with that little girl,and a matter of fact,im a little jealous of you,because i would LOVE to work with her!!You were so lucky to get that opportunity/chance.Well,you and her rock!!


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Five Year Anniversary Video

Team Honduras 2009 Year-in-Review Video

Team Honduras on Facebook

Team Honduras on Facebook